Saturday, March 11, 2006

Lessons from London

Unlike my last trip to the UK when I boarded the plane with a bottle of Vodka and the latest issue of O magazine, this time I boarded the plane with a bottle of water and a double dose of O - both the March and April issue. Perhaps that should have been a sign that indeed this trip would be a sobering experience and thus far it has been. To date these few days have reaffirmed two life lessons that I learned long ago but apparently I needed a reminder of. First, that when something is good you should most often leave it that way. Go out on a high note. My first trip was almost magical. I should have left it at that and waited longer for my return. Second, there are some things best enjoyed with others. On my last excursion I was with AQueer and he and I laughed, talked and painted the town red. It isn't as much fun now with only one paint brush.

I cannot say that everything has been bad. I enjoyed the evening watching movies with Meech Muffin. I enjoyed my visit to Harrod's. I had heard much about the place and it is even more than the stories that had been told to me. I can't say that I have ever been to a store like it before in my life. Impressive to me and to a real shopper it might even be overwhelming. Last night I ventured to a popular pub here, Kudos for a drink or two. I was met with the horror again of not being able to have a cranberry and vodka just the way I like them. Pubs here usually only have one kind of vodka and boys and girls, children of all ages, it is not my kind. They spirits that own the spirit establishment dabble in the likes of Smirnoff and apparently shun Grey Goose, Kettle One and my dear friend the real Mr. Belvedere. Nevertheless, when in London, do as the Londoners do. I grabbed a Smirnoff Ice and bopped my body to the sounds on the speakers. Good times there. Then the best line I've delivered since I got here brought a smile to my face.

Flunky: Hey, how are you?
Me: I'm good thank you. How are you?
Flunky: I'm great. My friend wants you to come over and talk to him.
Me: Your friend?
Flunky: Yes, the guy in the red shirt across the room.
Me: Oh, him. Well tell your friend if he wants to talk to me that he should come over here and speak for himself. I just travelled across an ocean. I am not going any further just to meet him.
Flunky: (laughs) I will tell him that.

So, today is a new day and I have several more left. I am an American and what do we do best? We are not known for being great thinkers, philosophers, etc. We are known for inventing wonderful gadgets and gizmos and fun things. In the next few days I'll do just that. I hear Meech Muffin taking a morning whiz, I guess the fun starts here.