Friday, January 27, 2006

He's The Wiz

Sometime during December I began exchanging emails with a guy whose personal ad I saw online. Eventually he sent me his picture and I sent him mine. He was brown skin with a well framed face. He looked familiar but at this point, I think all men do. At some point I sent him my phone number and told him to give me a call after the first of the year when I would return to DC from holiday.

Two weeks ago I was awakened by the ringing of my phone. I turned to my alarm clock and it was just after midnight. I didn’t recognize the number but decided to pick up anyway. It was him. Although I had been sleeping for a few hours I somehow mustered up the energy and the voice to appear as though I was as bright as a full moon on an evening without clouds. Radiant.

He was on his way home from a night of class and running errands and seeing friends. ‘Where do you live’ – he asked me. I gave him my cross streets and wouldn’t you know it he lived no more than five minutes away. On his way home he we was stopping at the gas station literally one block from my place.

Let’s make a deal.

A deal?

Yes, a deal. You step outside and see me. I will be at the gas station pumping fuel in my black SUV. If you don’t like what you see just walk on by and call me later and send your regrets. If you do like what you see – you have to come up to me and talk for a while – and you got to take a ride with me.

A ride?

Yes, a ride with me.

Now, my adventurous spirit had the best of me. In mere minutes I had slipped into my sweats and coat. I’d brushed my hair and my teeth, given myself a once over in the mirror and slipped out my apartment into the night air.

It took even less time for me to arrive a block away from my apartment building and at the corner of the street that separated me from the gas station. The streets were empty. I had a clear view of the gas station and of him pumping his gas. I smiled.

Tall, brown and classic masculine features. By any definition he was handsome.

I am a man of my word. We had a deal.

I walked to the car. I never said a word. Opened the passenger door and got in. I was going for a ride. I didn’t know where he was taking me. I didn’t know how we’d get there. All I knew is that this was adventurous, this was dangerous but I was also curious.

Gas tank on full, he got in the car and smiled at me. A good lock of the eyes confirmed that we’d actually seen each other before on more than one occasion but neither, he nor I ever spoke to each other verbally on any of them. Now we would.

The car finally stopped in a driveway that I presumed to be his. Keys out the truck and an invitation to follow him inside. I obliged. We went in and I made myself comfortable on his couch. He talked a bit and putted around. When I fixed my eyes on his television delight came over me. There was a dvd cued up – The Wiz, and forever more that is what I would also call him. He and I watched the dvd together, talked and even played a touching game.

The Wiz is so very different than any man that I’ve ever been around and I know he has secrets that he has yet to share with me. One I have picked up on through observation and another I just have a sense about. I know that I must be careful with him.

Nevertheless, while it is still golden I am going to enjoy easing on down the road. One never knows what magic or truth may lie in the city of Oz.