Monday, December 06, 2004

Done with dating?

It’s the middle of the afternoon and I just left the grocery store around the corner from my house. I picked up chicken, pasta, water, all my regular items…and a phone number. While I may hardly ever get attention at clubs, bars and the like, I tend to have pretty good luck (is it luck?) meeting people in random places doing every day things. I was on my way out the store, the guy made eye contact and it went from there. Honestly, now that the initial rush of meeting someone new is over and I reflect on the rather lackluster conversation we had, I doubt that I’ll call him. Though if I did it would probably lead to a DATE! and from there who knows? [Food for Thought: I have never gone on more than three dates with the same person though I’d love to be in a committed long term relationship with someone I cared for.]

Anyway, I got to thinking, what if someone told me that my dating days were over and that I had to pick one person from my pool of friends to be in a committed relationship for the rest of my life. Who would I choose? After thinking long and hard about this I decided I would spend the rest of my days with Country Boi. I love and admire Country Boi. He is in his mid-thirties, handsome, quite intelligent, spiritually well, raised in the country and still has some good southern ways about him that I find charming. I love his company and his appreciation for me as a person. When I am around him I feel at great ease.

Hmm…so why am I not dating him? Good question. I’m not dating him for a number of reasons one of them is that I value our constantly evolving friendship. Perhaps, one day I will find a Country Boi or City Slicker for me to be in love with and he’ll also love me. But in the meantime, I guess I’ll date or at least try to. What about you though? If you had to pick a life partner/husband/wife from the pool of your friends, who would you choose, and why? Think about it.