Friday, December 03, 2004

11119....

When people find out that I am a member of a black fraternity they immediately get an odd look on their face and questions and comments (by the brave) soon follow. “Are you really in a fraternity?” “You don’t seem like the frat boy type.” “I would have never guessed…” “You must have gone grad chapter.” “Did you pledge? What was that like?” “Why did you do that?” The questions and comments go on and on and on.

Indeed I am a proud member of the first intercollegiate black Greek letter organization founded on December 4, 1906 on the campus of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. At first glance I may not appear to be what one idealizes as the typical black Greek. I am an out, black gay man. I’m not what you picture in a step show and that’s okay with me. Black Greek letter organizations and there members are not a monolith and each organization, chapter and member has their own unique identity regardless of what others may lead you to believe.

I pledged for a number of diverse reasons unique to me. Everyone pledges for different reasons and has different expectations of what they will put in and take from the organization. I wanted to share in a bond of brotherhood with like minded men of similar backgrounds. I wanted to take another step toward healing myself. After years of troubled and awkward relationships with black men I felt like this could possibly help me bridge some gaps and come to some new understandings. I wanted to continue to serve communities and use this as a vehicle to do so. I felt in my heart that the founding history of my beloved fraternity mirrored my own life. I became a member first in my heart.

The path to membership was not an easy one for me and it was years in the making. But each step on the journey to the city where the streets are paved in black and gold taught me much about myself and where I saw my place in the world. Are there members of this organization that do not wish to accept me? Yes there are and that will be a fact for years to come. Are there brothers in this organization who take me as I am? Yes there are. Black Greek life is peculiar to many on the outside and probably equally peculiar to many of those on the inside as well. But for all the peculiarities I still don’t think I would have it any other way. I have met fine black men from all walks of life, from all over the world, who I have had the pleasure of interacting with and learning from that I would have never had the opportunity to do so if not for our fraternal bond. I have gained endearing friendships and relationships that I believe will stand the test of time. Indeed I am a proud member of the first intercollegiate black Greek letter organization founded on December 4, 1906 on the campus of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.

The Oldest, the Boldest and the Coldest! First of all, servants of all, we shall transcend all!

Happy Founders Day!