Tuesday, November 16, 2004

The World Is Yours

I believe that God has the whole world in his hands and in just 25 business days, according to the man who works at the post office, I will have the power to travel around the whole world in my hands. Yes, today I threw on my black turtleneck, flung my scarf around me and headed to the Moto Photo at Union Station to pose for my passport picture. I whipped out my mirror to make sure my brows weren't too bushy and my lips were saying welcome in any language and in a flash (literally) the shot soon to be seen around the world was taken.

After standing in line at the post office for nearly half an hour I met the pleasure of Mr. Wheeler. It was Mr. Wheeler who walked me through the process of completing my application and verifying all my personal bizness. With a staple, a stamp and my $85 I had done the deed. My application was "in the mail."

For some this process isn't quite as exciting as it is for me. This is my first passport and it symbolizes a freedom that I don't think I've felt before. Although I have never felt like the caged bird, or trapped by anyone or anything, the thought of having a little blue book that whenever I have a little green money I can take and go anywhere in the world....just excites me. (Ask my friends - not a lot of things excite me.) Where will I go? What will I do? Who will I meet? What will I eat? The world is my oyster.

Wanna taste it with me?