Wednesday, February 20, 2008

How He Moves

How does a black man move? He moves like water. At times like a gentle brook. At times like a forceful rush. At all times like the beautiful and engaging men of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater company.

Last night it was my great privilege and pleasure to enjoy their performance inside the jewel box on the Potomac River as Judith Jamison referred to it.

With each extension, leap, stretch, saunter and breathe filled contraction I witnessed not just masters of modern American dance and ballet whose athletic prowess and agility surpass professional athletes I also saw a natural beat inherit in an entire race of men. An irrepressible rhythm. A constant cadence. In every heart beat. In every bat of the lashes. In every outward expression. In every moment.

That rhythm and cadence live in me. And when I close my eyes we dance together.