Friday, January 07, 2005

Pleasant Surprises

Every night for the past three nights my phone has rang and I have welcomed the voice of an unexpected yet very pleasant surprise. Tuesday night I thought my eyes were deceiving me when I looked at the caller id and saw it was St. Croix. I haven’t talked to him since late November and really hadn’t thought that I’d ever hear from him again. When we initially met I was going to attempt to make it a love connection. That didn’t seem to quite work out but we do enjoy each others conversation and have gone out to dinner. St. Croix and I may never have a relationship with romance but he is a great candidate for a friend.

Wednesday my pleasant surprise came from Southern Chocolate. He is a young man (yes, younger than even me) that I met while I was in LA last summer. Young, laid back, cute and amused by jokes – of course I liked him. We exchanged numbers and vowed to keep in touch. Since July we’ve probably touched base all of two times prior to Wednesday night. I was delighted to hear from him and learn his last semester went well.

Tonight I was lying in bed minding my own business when my frat brother the Notorious I.C.E. called. We met through a mutual friend a few months ago and he is becoming one of my favorite brothers and breeders. I’ve been trying to expand my pool of hetero friends and he is a nice fit. Am I tokenizing straight men? Even though that sounds very, “I have a black friend,” it’s not. Talk amongst yourselves.

Nevertheless, I have enjoyed all my pleasant surprises these past few days. It’s nice to know that there are some folks out there who just want to call and enjoy my voice and see about my general well being. The only thing is that although I am happy to have received calls from those three guys, my mind keeps wandering to why I haven’t gotten a call from Shadow. As I have been easing thoughts about Langston out of my head I’ve been toying with the idea of moving Shadow into that space. Shadow is/was my latest focal point of amorous attention. Maybe he is now lurking in the shadows.

I don't know how the Shadow situation will work itself out but I do know I’ll cherish my pleasant surprises.