Sunday, November 11, 2007

2:15PM

His fingers looked like he had been kneading tar. They were dark with dirt and residue of something that I couldn’t identify. He looked bad, but most crack addicts do. Beauty is no exception. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him look as bad as he did when I last saw him.

He called me earlier today to tell me that he’d finally called home. I was happy about that because the last time we spoke he said that he would never call his family again.

Too bad when he called his mother today he learned that his father had a stroke and is in the hospital. He said that messed with his mind even more. He acknowledged that still didn’t justify him going to get high. Tonight he told me all the things crack addicts tell themselves and others.

He said that this was the end for him.

He said that he was at the bottom.

He said that he knew he was better than what he had become.

While I agree that he was better than what he has come, I don’t know that this is the end for him or that he has reached bottom. I can only pray that this time it is true, that he will put the drugs and the alcohol down and never pick them up again. I can pray that he turn on the inside, turn to God, turn wherever he needs to – anywhere other than the demons that feel good getting you high but in the end leave you in a life so low.

I don’t know why when he called me tonight I answered the phone. I don’t know why I ever answer the phone when he calls. There is something that I see in him.

Yesterday he got his check from doing labor all week. He vowed that he wouldn’t spend it on the wrong thing. He cashed his check. He went to the barbershop and then got two beers. It all went down hill from there. All the money he had on Friday afternoon is now gone. It only took a one night and one day. He is sleeping in an abandon building tonight. I asked was he finding a way to keep himself warm. He told me he was.

All I can do is pray for him. Maybe that’s why I answer the phone when he calls. I think that in some way because he has another person to talk to I could be the answer to one of his prayers. As we ended our conversation I invited him to a meeting. Beauty accepted the invitation. I told him to stand in front of my building at 2:15pm and we could walk there together.

He said that this was the end for him.

He said that he was at the bottom.

He said that he knew he was better than what he had become.

In a few hours I’ll find out.