Monday, July 18, 2005

Scenes

My head is banging, my thoughts are spinning and there is no remote control for this thing called life that would allow me to press pause. The past 48 hours of my life have been moving quickly and with scenes that I wish I could stop and reflect on for a few hours. But I know, time waits for no man. I haven’t had the opportunity to sit down and think about the events or the conversations that I’ve been having. I wish I could but I have to keep moving.

Scene I

I was in his arms and we were dancing. We were both dressed in white and could see the sweat that made our clothes stick to our bodies and give our faces that extra shine. The room was hot and his body temperature was hotter. The music went from mid-tempo to slow jam. I heard Luther singing, he was telling me that he was still in love with me. My dance partner pulled me closer.

Him: I should have had you a long time ago.
Me: Good things come to those who wait.
Him: I’ve been waiting a long time.
Me: Just imagine how good I must be then.

Scene II

I opened the book I started a couple of weeks ago and haven’t been able to quite finish. Three words, the right people, is all I was able to read before my phone rang. The caller ID had a number I didn’t immediately recognize. The name however was familiar. It was my boss and it was Sunday. I picked up the phone. She asked for 15 minutes of my time. An hour and a half later we concluded our conversation.

Scene III

It was another humid summer evening in the District. As I lay on my sofa catching a slight breeze every time the fan oscillated in my direction I stared at his beautiful dark brown skin as the light from the television beamed on his cheek. He was lying on my living room floor on top of two long pillows fast asleep. He was vulnerable and some would argue that to some degree so was I. When he called me earlier in the day he wanted me to hang out with him. It was a request that I had to refuse. I wasn’t leaving my apartment. I had made my cameo public appearances for the weekend and an encore wasn’t on my agenda. Instead he asked if he could come by my place. When I saw him I knew he wouldn’t stay a few minutes or a few hours. He would stay the night.

This beautiful Black man was lying there sleeping. I wondered what he was dreaming about and even more what happened to his dreams.

This morning he shared stories. I wonder will he ever share himself.